Thursday 26 August 2010

Social Media At Its Finest


I often speak of my undying love for J Crew, because lets face it I don’t have a life. Its become an almost unhealthy obsession, to the point I will walk around its hallowed corridors and showcases at Columbus Circle to blow off steam after carbo-loading at Whole Foods. Oh to revel in the clothes for the dapper lifestyle I yearn to afford, but can probably only attain through hooking and/or gold digging (since they are synonymous with one another.)

However, I have to give Anthropologie props. The store interiors are glorious to say the least, and are reminiscent of the fairy tale settings we became so used to as children. Except now we’re older and these fairy tales are trying to sell us cutlery and aprons. Nothing like turning the tedium of homemaking into a magical experience, all you need are some clip on fairy wings and a fifth of vodka to bring it to life.

“Mommy, why does dinner taste like cigarette ash and despair?”

“Shut up, you didn’t tell me how much you liked the new lobster motif in the kitchen. We’re turning your room into the British countryside next, don’t even try and fucking stop me.”

But honestly, I do tend to blow too much money on their clothes. It’s a wild stab at pretentious bohemian with a belligerent attitude geared towards superfluous ruffles and layering. If you don’t know what the hell I just said, neither do I. But that’s irrelevant to how pretty their riding jackets and dresses are.

On another note, the store does make good use of their Facebook as well. I like getting the new collections on their news feed, or the ability to “like” an outfit or article of clothing on the website. Sperry Top-Sider has been doing a good job with their Facebook as well, generating content that appeals to their audience and making them feel more at home with the brand. Example A:

8 “likes” in under a half and hour and growing. G-d bless America and boat shoes.

2 comments:

  1. hahahahahahahaha omg that facebook thing is so god damn funny!!!!!! I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I liked that facebook comment, but I wish I did.

    ReplyDelete