Tuesday 14 September 2010

OPTIMUS PRIME, GO!


I was coming back from Natalie's apartment after a rousing marathon of Bridal Bootcamp on demand, when I nearly got attacked by a west Philadelphia squirrel. My instinctual reaction was to scream "Jesus," but considering I was in the AEPi backyard I shouldn't have been surprised that no one rushed out of the house to help me.

So far living on the corner of frat row hasn't been bad. Sure all of my important windows are facing Sig Ep (read: bedroom and bathroom) but I haven't heard too much late night obscenity yelling. However, campus is dead and school doesn't officially start until the 20th. All I have left to do until then is bitch about my cramped living conditions, spend time with the people I haven't seen in 6 months, and continue my wild and fervent quest to find the lost cardigan. It was my favorite one, and held a lot of sentimental value. It's survived way too many nights out to get lost in the move, and if there is a higher being then it will return to me unscathed or there is no justice in this damned cruel world.

The move in itself was interesting. When my father told me I was going to be riding my mattress, I instantaneously agreed without thinking. After the habitual two day incubation period when "thoughts" or "feelings" finally register, I had a vision of riding in a completely dark and airless U-haul van. My lifelong struggle with motion sickness and the back of dark vans without the previously promised candy weighed heavily on my mind. However when we taking all of my precious belongings out of Manhattan I realized it was all open space and it wasn't going to be that bad. Except when my drawers fell on me. And I had to duck every time there was a cop.

My last week of "relaxation" in NYC went well. I got to drink at the Rose Bar in the Gramercy Park Hotel for Lacoste L!ve, saw the Colbert Report with Harris, and spent my last night wandering around fifth avenue for Fashion Night Out. I was really enjoying the free champagne and swiping all of the fall catalogues from stores, until I got caught in the flash mob at the Juicy Couture flagship store. All of these punked out girls around me started to break out into synchronized dance moves, and I couldn't get out of their way fast enough. Before I knew it I was trapped in the middle of their mob that was being filmed and viewed by everyone in the store. It took me a good minute to find my way out of their dancing circle of death, and I'm afraid to look at any video footage posted online.

Before I left I was also fortunate enough to interview famed Parisian fashion photographer Justin Wu, which is available at the RJW blog here.

The transition from work to college has been more than enjoyable, and I had forgotten how amazing campus is. I really did miss my friends, and I'm glad to know I won't take them or any of the stupid shit they do for granted anymore. The upcoming nine months are too precious to waste, and I'm already planning an epic halloween costume. The only question is how to make an Optimus Prime costume look slutty. However, like the old proverb goes "where there's a will there's a way," and I certainly do have the necessary drive. And scissors.

2 comments: